Friday, January 4, 2013

What to do if you are under investigation 3?

OK - let's take what we talked about the other day one step further - what do you do if you are contacted by the police, law enforcement officials or a third party investigator (outside investigator or an internal investigator that works in-house for large firms)?

     In this case, the answer is easy - speak with an attorney first who specializes in fraud and white-collar crime.  Even if you did not "do" anything, it is essential to speak with someone who understands the process of fraud.

     The question I am constantly asked, however, by people is; "if I didn't do anything wrong, why should I speak with an attorney?"  It is not a question of you doing something wrong - quite the oppositte - it is a question of you understanding your rights and privileges as an American worker and an American citizen (note, of course, that I am only speaking about U.S. law here.  I cannot give advice about the laws of foreign nations). 

    Before you are interviewed by a third party or a law enforcement official, take the time to speak with an attorney who handles fraud cases first.  It is important that you be instructed in your rights before you give answers to questions that may not even be legal or appropriate to ask of you.

    The follow-up question I usually get is: "won't it look bad to my employer if I speak to an attorney first?"  The answer I normally give in these situations is that, once again, you have rights as an American that must be respected and it is important to understand those rights first.  It looks even worse, in my opinion, to walk into a situation blindfolded.


NOTE: THE INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE NOR IS IT INTENDED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE.  IF THE READER HAS ANY LEGAL QUESTIONS, PLEASE REFER TO AN ATTORNEY.

                                             

Have a great and fraud-free day.

 


 

----------à>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>gene tausk


 

No comments:

Post a Comment