Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Personal Encounters II

So - I mentioned in the last post that my passport was stolen.  I immediately moved to report it stolen and get a new one.  Why is this so critical?

First, from a practical point of view, a person cannot travel internationally without a passport.  So, unless I wanted to get stuck in Russia (which would not be a bad thing), I would have to get a new passport in any case. It makes sense to take care of this sooner rather than later.  I discovered that my passport was missing on a Friday and since the Consulate would have been closed over the weekend, it was practical to get it taken care of when I knew the Consulate was open.  To do otherwise would have meant that I would have been without this vital document for at least two days; two days when I might have needed it.

     Second, from a fraud examiners point of view, passport fraud is a big worldwide industry.  Passports from advanced nations such as the U.S. are in high demand because they are sold to high-tech "passport surgeons" who try and alter the passport for a new identity for someone else.  My stolen passport may have been used for such a purpose.  It is important for the American Consulate or Embassy to know about my stolen passport ASAP so they can put a stop to my passport and passport number to prevent it from being used by anyone else.

More on this tomorrow.

NOTE: THE INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE NOR IS IT INTENDED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE.  IF THE READER HAS ANY LEGAL QUESTIONS, PLEASE REFER TO AN ATTORNEY.

Have a great and fraud-free day.


----------à>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>gene tausk


No comments:

Post a Comment