Monday, December 5, 2011

Personal Encounters

Well, the "major project" to which I referred earlier was a trip to St. Petersburg, Russia.  Just got back in town and although I had a great time (I love Russia), I myself was the victim of theft which could lead to fraud.  So, there is no time like the present to discuss how I took care of this situation.  Yes, anyone can be the victim of fraud and theft.  The most important part is taking care of the situation.

     So, long story short, my passport was stolen.  Aside from being the victim of a theft, which is always difficult and unpleasant, the most irritating part of having a passport stolen in a foreign country is that it needs to be replaced.  A person cannot travel internationally without a passport.  So, this means that an American citizen, or a citizen of their own country, must go to their country's Embassy or consulate and get a new one.  Since I was in St. Petersburg, Russian Federation, I had to go to the consulate in St. Petersburg (in Russia, the USA has its embassy in Moscow [the capital], and consulates in St. Petersburg, Vladivostok, and Ekatirinburg).

     So, a few hours later, I was able to report my passport stolen and get a new one (and I give extreme props to the good people at American Citizen Services at the St. Petersburg consulate for their excellent work).

   But - why is it important to report when a passport is stolen and get a new one as soon as possible?

More later.


NOTE: THE INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE NOR IS IT INTENDED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE.  IF THE READER HAS ANY LEGAL QUESTIONS, PLEASE REFER TO AN ATTORNEY.

Have a great and fraud-free day.


----------à>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>gene tausk

No comments:

Post a Comment