Saturday, December 22, 2012

Personal Encounter IV

Further encounters of my dad in pre WWII and Communist Romania.

     Teachers (high -school teachers) were apparently not immune to requesting "help" from students as well.

     My dad related a story to me that when he was in high school (grade unknown), he was required to take classes in Romanian language and literature (which makes sense considering it is the country's language).  He took his tests and thought he did well but consistently received the equivalent of a "C" grade.

     He went to talk to his teacher who informed him that my dad was a good student but needed some extra tutoring to get him through the classwork.  My dad did not understand and went home to talk to my grandfather about it.  My grandfather instantly understood and went to the teacher to ask him about getting a tutor for my dad.  The teacher recommended someone and my grandfather hired him on the spot.  The "fees" paid to this tutor were much higher than normal but it was understood that not all of the "fees" were going to the tutor.  Also, my dad informed me that the "lessons" mainly consisted of my dad explaining Romanian language and literature to the tutor.

    Once again, a very byzantine system of bribery and corruption, but it was expected and everyone knew about it.  Nothing directly was said, nor was anything directly needed to be said.


NOTE: THE INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE NOR IS IT INTENDED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE.  IF THE READER HAS ANY LEGAL QUESTIONS, PLEASE REFER TO AN ATTORNEY.

                                             

Have a great and fraud-free day.

 


 

----------à>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>gene tausk

No comments:

Post a Comment