Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Personal Notes

Every so often, it is worth talking about how fraud affects me personally.  Fortunately, I have not been in a situation where I lost a great deal of money on fraud schemes (I have, unfortunately, been a victim, but emerged more or less unscathed).

     In this case, I want to talk about my dad.  He is from Romania and lived in that country until about 1960.  He was unfortunate enough to endure both Communism and Facism and in all situations, even before the country was transformed into a Communist "utopia," Romanian society was far from ideal.  More specifically, the country was a cesspool of fraud and corruption in the 1930's.  Keep in mind, of course, that Romania was hardly unique in this respect.  Fraud and corruption are enemic in many societies but, as my dad always told me that Romania had a special blend of corruption.

    It was always interesting hearing him talk about his experiences in dealing with Romanian officials who demanded "baksheesh," a term involving bribes that is a holdover from the time when Romania was part of the Ottoman Empire (the word is of Turkish origin). 

    Over the next few days, I will relate a few of my dad's stories.  For those who live in corrupt societies, these stories will seem all-to familiar.  For those that live in lawful societies, give thanks.


NOTE: THE INFORMATION IN THIS BLOG IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE NOR IS IT INTENDED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE.  IF THE READER HAS ANY LEGAL QUESTIONS, PLEASE REFER TO AN ATTORNEY.

                                             

Have a great and fraud-free day.

 


 

----------à>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>gene tausk

No comments:

Post a Comment