Thursday, February 20, 2014

Should you go to law school? 13

OK - here is a basic question for you - can you write?  Do you like to write?

      No matter what you choose to do in law, you will have to write.  You will have to write well.  You will have to learn to write as a lawyer (which you may learn in law school but you will certainly learn by the time you practice for a few years).  You will have to write continuously.

     I look back sometimes at a time when I was 16 and taking an Honors level English class in high school.  I was assigned a 10 page term paper (not including footnotes)!  At the time, it seemed like I was writing War and Peace.  I remember the effort and the sense of accomplishment I felt when it was over. 

    I write on average 10 pages a day with little or no effort.  When I really push myself, I can do 30.  Sometimes more. 

    I am not boasting, but I am reflecting on how expectations change. 

    So - can you write?  Do you like to write?

   

No comments:

Post a Comment