Sunday, February 9, 2014

Should you go to law school? 7

Only a few more posts on "proving a negative," namely - the reasons not to go to law school. 

    Strangely enough, one of the reasons I get from would-be lawyers about why they want to go to law school is: "I just graduated with a worthless degree (Philosophy, Art History, Women's Studies, etc.) and I can't do anything with it.  Might as well go to law school."

      This is just another way of saying that you don't know what you want to do with your life so you might as well go to law school.  Review the last series of posts.  I've already explained what a tremendous challenge is law school and being a lawyer.  Do you honestly think that such a decision and commitment should be left to: I don't know what I want to do?

      If I can get carried away here: this is the stupidest reason to go to law school and become a lawyer. 

     Unless you are one of the VERY lucky 10% of people who become lawyers on the spur of the moment and find out they really love it, you are setting yourself up for failure.  I really cannot emphasize enough that choosing to go to law school "just because" is an incredibly bad decision.  Once you have committed yourself and find yourself $150,000 in debt "just because," you probably will be kicking yourself in the ass.

    In other words, don't waste your time and money if this is your "thought process" for taking the LSAT and applying to law school.  Go on a round-the-world trip instead and get your head in order. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment